Sunday, July 4, 2010

Let's Get Physical!

One of the hardest things I had to come to terms with after my hospitalisation and complications was my loss of physical health. I had literally wasted away. After Tia's birth a walk to the hospital cafeteria and back was enough to put me back to bed for a couple of hours.

Fortunately, I built up walking quite quickly but in reality when I first came home I could only look after Tia and myself. For weeks anything beyond this was simply out of my reach.

Last year I took the motto 'Be kind to yourself' to heart. I let my body recuperate. This year I've endeavoured to get back to where I was. My aim has been to run the Sydney City to Surf again. I'd done this a couple of months before Tia was conceived.

I didn't really get back to running until April this year. Within weeks I realised the City to Surf may be out of my reach. My body is not the same. I've lost strength in areas I'd never realised. Running is no longer fluid for me. It is now a tight and strained action. It takes willpower and concentration to move. Sometimes after a run I feel great and other times my body screams in protest for days afterwards.

Why do I persist?

Because these circumstances will change. This situation will pass.

As my need to cry over the loss of my fitness and my inability to function has passed. My struggle to run as I did will diminish.

It is your ability to view the situation and to hold on to what is really important and let go of what isn't that is the key to rising to the challenges you face.

So I will continue getting out there. Run with joy in my heart and meet the challenges as they arise.

Yesterday, I had to sprint to the line to secure my place. The competitor is still inisde me. It didn't matter to me that I was battling it out for 33rd place.

I've come a long way to be able to finish in that position ;)


Cathryn

2 comments: